Labels

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Black Bean Salsa

I know I have been a huge slacker in the blogging department.  Sorry.  I have been working hard at trying to get in better shape and lose some weight, and I have.  I've lost 25 pounds now and I feel much better!  I have been trying to make some better food choices and have been paying closer attention to portion sizes.  I refuse to cut any food groups completely out of my diet because I like variety.  It makes me happy to have choices. 
This is a yummy snack that I have been loving lately.  It is pretty healthy and delicious.  And I like things that I can throw together in 10 minutes or less.  I got this recipe from Taste of Home but I tweaked it a little bit to make it that much yummier to me.  When this salsa is made as written (using Daisy sour cream and olive oil mayo) it comes to about 135 calories a serving, which is good.  If you want to substitute with light sour cream or use greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and mayo that would make it even less calories.  

Black Bean Salsa

Ingredients:
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn, thawed (or you can use canned)
1 medium bell pepper, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (or 1/2 tbsp dried parsley)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or substitute vinegar of your choice)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, bell pepper, tomato, onion, and parsley.  In a small bowl combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, and seasonings.  Pour over corn mixture and toss gently to coat.  Serve with tortilla chips.  Store leftovers in the refrigerator.  Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment